Friday, July 4, 2008

Ok so. now i have internet

so i finally got the internet now. here is everything i have typed so far
i will post a few pictures here. the rest will be located : HERE

after today. i'll post all the pictures in this blog.


Day 2:

Hanoi first impressions 2 words: Humid & Scooters. There is internet in the house I’m staying at now but I haven’t configured it to work with my macbook yet so I’m writing about my first day on my second day.

Its 6:51am Wed morning local time right now as I’m sitting in bed typing this. My 1st day in Hanoi was spent pretty much eating & sleeping. Trying to adjust from the time difference. The flight in was on a smaller airplane. It was only probably 30% full.
The view from the plane looking down was interesting. Not developed urban skyscrapers but the countryside. The airport sits out in the middle of nowhere. Surrounding it is the countryside.

We got in at 12pm local time. The ride from the airport to the home took about 15min. Oh man when I stepped off the plane it was humid. I almost couldn’t breath this was not considered hot at all to the locals here. As we entered the terminal from the plane it was a pretty small airport. It took us about 15min to get through customs & grab our luggage. There were a total of 3 vans that came to pick us up. 2 of the luggage & then we rode in the Escalade. Yes an Escalade. You know. The ones you see in the MTV music videos
What a sight that was on the ride through the countryside & city. It was the nicest car I saw. I saw a million motorcycles. Everywhere! I wasn’t in the heart of Hanoi yet either. Ho Chi Minh is even bigger & crazier. I can’t even imagine. They use the horns here almost like every other second. I kind of got the system down. They use it to warm other motorcycles that they are nearby or pulling up by them. Not necessary how we use it in the states which can be equally compared to using the finger. Honk honk honk.. I even saw 1 guy on a motorcycle going down the street in the opposite direction! Families on motorcycles.
Coming up to an intersection it was amazing to see how it just flowed. There are traffic lights but no on really stops when it’s red or only go when it’s green. It’s kinda of a guideline. Everything seems chaotic but at the same time…flows smoothly. It works. My sister in law told me I was not allowed to ride a motorcycle in Vietnam. But we’ll see how that goes!

Had lunch at home at 2pm here which is Seattle time is midnight which is a little different for my body. I was so stuffed. The food was really good. Home cooked authentic. Not that I don’t get that at home already. But this was my first meal in Vietnam. The place I’m staying at in Hanoi is my sister in laws parents house. It’s a really nice place as you can see from the pictures. My room is spacious & has its own bathroom. No dryers here. Everything is air-dried.

That nap was much needed. Woke up about 7pm here because it was time to eat. I think I could’ve slept till the next morning. I was not really hungry because my body thought it was 4pm & I just ate a few hours ago. Apparently there was a thunderstorm while I was sleeping. Looked outside & everything was wet. Dinner was excellent. Ra mung was really good. The chicken was good. Everything was good. I’m gonna gain back those 12 pounds quick at this pace & I haven’t even begun to have the food here! My stomach feels weird. I dunno if it’s the food or whatnot. Hopefully I wont have to use any of those prescription tummy pills.

So today, Wed. July 2nd is my first full day in Vietnam. I really should be trying to get a few more hours of sleep but I couldn’t sleep. Opened the door to my patio & stepped out. It was still muggy/humid. I think it rained a little more last night. I’m really hungry right now. Hopefully breakfast will be soon. Plans today. None really! Isn’t that great! I think I will venture out & around the neighborhood bring my camera along & get lost maybe a little, Maybe a trip to the bank to exchange my $.

7:32am. Gonna sign off here. See if I can get a little more sleep, I don’t think anyone is awake yet. Until next time

Day 2:

7:21pm. In my room. In bed.
Don’t worry. Not sick.

The summary of my day.


Food
Sleep

I did make it out today in the neighborhood. I ventured down the block. It was humid & motorcycles everywhere again. Also the smell of just dirty water. Just half a block down is a car wash. As I walked by there was a Bentley being washed. Yeah that’s right. A $100k plus car. I saw a white couple on a scooter; the wife on the back had a map. It looked like they were exploring the city. My first sight of non-Vietnamese people. Ha they guy could navigate a scooter there, so could I.

I didn’t walk too far because I didn’t bring any $ and I didn’t have the strap attached to my camera. I decided to go back & attach it. Got back home & the lady that stays at the house to cook/clean were just getting back. She mentioned to me that there’s a lake further down & that it’s a lot cooler down there. I told her I’d have to check that out. She asked me what I wanted to eat before I went for my stroll & I said:”pho” & it was ready by the time I got back.

It was awesome. The best. I could’ve ate 2 more bowls.

She’s is really good cook. All the pictures you see of the food so far are what she made. She also gets help from 1-2 other girls. They come by on different days. Must be nice.

My sister in law said we would go into the city today but it looks like we didn’t get a chance too. We were suppose to go after our nap…but that nap lasted then longer then expected. We had lunch around 2 I think. I had pho around 10. I’m wondering if dinner is soon.
I don’t know if I can eat anymore! Its been eat & sleep every since I’ve been here.

Tomorrow. I will set out to do something.

Ryan is growing up so fast. He makes so much more noises now & he is more responsive to people. He does his signature flexing to show how much muscles he has. He’ll kiss on command. Once you get him started, he’ll continue kissing out of nowhere. Smiling & joking around with them, I’m gonna miss him so much. Most of the time when I look & smile at him or point my camera at him he reaches out to try & grab me.

First full day almost over. Gonna get some sleep now.

Day 2

11:35pm. Speak of the Devil. Not 5min after I entered my last blog my brother came & got me for dinner. More food!!! I just got back home. We actually got a little tour of the city. Personal driver. The escalade came & picked us up. We rode around & then got some ice cream. Still lots of motorcycles out & about and more people my age. We rode past like this “lovers lane” sort of area. It’s an actual lake with statues of swans. The teens ride up in their scooters & make out there. Ha ha,

The swans look pretty cheesy.

I’m tired. Gonna get some rest. Tomorrow I think I will get up & do a run around the lake.

Day 3

Thursday. 7:03am.
I just got back from a jog around the lake a few blocks away. I thought I better burn off all that food I ate the past 3 days. I went around 3x. Distance wise it was probably 1 mile. Let me tell you how humid it is. Back at home. I run 4miles without sweating. Right now I’m dripping., the sweatiest I have ever been in my life! Hahah. I feel good though. Gonna shower.

Day 3

8:34am

after my shower I was still sweating. It’s humid today. Not hot, but humid. I had a Vietnamese banana & also CafĂ© Sua Da. It was really really good. Starbucks you lose. It’s also only .70 cents also! It’s very strong though. I’m just sitting in the living room right now. The doors are wide open & I can hear the street life. Horns. We’re gonna walk into town a little later to see my sister in laws sister at work. Probably gonna book my tours for next week to Sa Pa & Ha Long Bay. I figured this week just relax & get accustomed to daily life. Next week I’ll be trekking it. I think I’m about 90% recovered from the jetlag. The 12hr difference had a greater affect then I had thought. Yesterday was my first full day. Today would be my second. I think 1 more day & I’ll be in tiptop shape.

I think I can get used to this life here. It’s relaxing

I saw on the TV the Miss Universe swimsuit contest last night. Miss Israel & Miss Venezuela woo hoo. My favorites.

12:45pm

Just got home from the salon. Yes salon. My sister in law took me & my brother to get our hair shampooed & massaged. Let me tell you what $35 US dollars gets you.

All 3 of us got our head washed & massaged. My brother & I got our face cleaned & massaged also. That part of the session was about 35min. washed & massaged the face/hair like 2x,. They somehow sprayed water in my ears without really getting the water in the ear. After that they took us to the chair & got our ears cleaned & a light massage. My sister in law also got her haircut. We were there for at least an hour

$35 US dollars. I wouldn’t mind doing it again. Maybe only the days that I go for a run ☺_

We’re about to have lunch here soon. I’m starving. The only thing I’ve had since like 6am was 2 vietnamese banana’s & some Vietnamese yogurt. It was so good.

I need to hurry up & get a internet connection. I have a bunch of photos I need to upload.










No comments: